Breathing, Airway, and Oxygen
What is a Mercury Silver Filling Made Of?
Dental amalgam, sometimes called a “silver-filling” due to its appearance, is a mixture of mercury, silver, copper, tin and zinc used to fill cavities in teeth. Dental amalgam is approximately half (50%) mercury, by weight.
Are Mercury Fillings Toxic?
Dental amalgam fillings have been shown to emit mercury vapors continuously, especially during brushing , chewing, eating and drinking. It is becoming more known that mercury is being released (leaching) in small amounts from the filling years after placement in people’s mouths. Mercury is continuously emitted from amalgam fillings, and it is absorbed and retained in the body, particularly in the brain, kidney, liver, lung, and gastrointestinal tract (see studies linked below).
There is still a huge controversy on whether the amount of mercury vapor released from amalgam fillings is enough to cause harm to individuals. Most traditional dentists, feel that amalgam fillings are harmless and the amount of vapor releases is below the exposure required to cause harm.
Dr. George has found that there should be no amount of mercury exposure to ensure safety for her patients. Dr. George has read many studies and discovered the harmful effects of mercury toxicity.
Consider the following facts:
- Mercury fillings continually vaporize (i.e. leach mercury vapor) in the mouth especially when chewing, brushing, or drinking hot liquids.
- As mercury vapor is inhaled and swallowed, it is readily absorbed into the bloodstream, passing through the various organs and into the brain.
- Mercury from dental amalgam fillings becomes widely distributed throughout the body and can stay lodged for long periods, typically accumulating over a lifetime.
- In autopsy studies, there is a correlation between the amount of mercury in brain tissue and the number of mercury amalgam fillings in the mouth.
- The mercury absorbed from dental amalgams can cause body chemistry and organ function to change.
Additional reading on Thyroid and Endocrine disorders potentially impacted by mercury please reference: DAMS (Dental Amalgam Mercury Solutions) or IAOMT.org
As a mercury free dental office, Pure Holistic Dental is proud to serve the Southwest Houston area. To learn more about alternatives to mercury we invite you to check out our website or call us at 713-489-3790.
Can Mercury Fillings?
The removal of dental amalgam (mercury fillings) can be a very toxic and dangerous process if not done correctly by a smart certified Dentist. While we will never encourage you to have mercury fillings removed in the absence of proof of a mercury allergy or toxicity.
We will encourage you to educate yourself on the effects of mercury fillings and its effect on your health. The harmful effects of mercury and other heavy metals on your health are well documented. Mercury in amalgam fillings has been scientifically linked to a number of health conditions. Studies have shown that mercury is linked to the cause or worsening of the following conditions:
Allergies, especially to mercury
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
Autism spectrum disorders
Autoimmune disorders/ immunodeficiency
Chronic fatigue syndrome
Complaints of unclear causation
Oral lichenoid reaction and oral lichen planus
Psychological issues such as depression & anxiety
Symptoms of chronic mercury poisoning
Fact Sheet on Dental Amalgam Mercury’s Impact on the Environment
Why We All Don’t Get Sick in the Same Way: The Science Behind Dental Mercury and Other Environmental Toxicants
Scientific studies showing the harmful effects of mercury…
- Associations of blood mercury, inorganic mercury, methyl mercury and bisphenol A with dental surface restorations in the U.S. population
- A prospective study of prenatal mercury exposure from maternal dental amalgams and autism severity.
What is the safe way to remove mercury?
As a biological dentist, Dr. George has been properly trained and educated on the safe removal of mercury fillings in Houston, TX. Dr. George is S.M.A.R.T certified by the IOAMT to safely remove mercury.
We understand the toxicity of mercury and use a S.M.A.R.T protocol to protect our patients and staff from the toxic vapors when removing any metals in your mouth along with a detox evaluation.
We have an elaborate purifying setup that we will walk you through before any treatment.
Our protocols during removal of mercury or metals include:
- Rubber dam tooth umbrella to shield your mouth
- Providing disposable covering for hair and skin
- Removing the fillings in chunks so vapors are not released.
- Using ozonated water before and after mercury replacements.
- HEPA filter/ high volume vacuum above patients
- Office air-purification systems
- Ionizer to remove any additional mercury particulate in the air.
- Rinsing with chlorella/activated charcoal to remove traces of mercury
- Oxygen supply to breathe through the nose
Are we a good fit for you?
- You want to save time and money over your lifetime to get optimal health
- Your goal is to be the healthiest version of yourself to feel the best
- You want the least amount of dental work possible